In this article, we will look at five tips to protect hair from sun damage.
Curly hair is naturally gorgeous, but there’s no denying it can be hard work. Whether you struggle with volume or frizz, curls can get out of control fast. The Curly Girl Method is the brainchild of Lorraine Massey. Her number one best-selling book, Curly Girl, champions all types of curls and how to get the best from them, and for them. Her method has been a lifesaver for those who’ve struggled with curly hair. One of the startling epiphanies she describes is realising just how bad some shampoos were for curly hair, particularly those with sulphates. Sulphates cleanse hair thoroughly, stripping each hair of the natural oils that actually help keep hair in great condition. Once you stop using these types of shampoos, hair starts to retain more moisture the natural way. This makes it softer, more manageable, and lets your natural curls shine through.
Curly Girl: The BasicsHere are the basic rules of the Curly Girl method: • No shampoos with sulphates in • No heat treatments or styling equipment • No brushes or fine combs • No styling products with silicon in • No alcohol-based treatments or products
Curly Girl Method: Step by StepIt might seem drastic to suddenly stop using shampoo, or to not brush your hair! However, our step by step guide to incorporating the Curly Girl method into your daily beauty routine will help you make sense of it all.
1. Wash Your HairWhilst following the Curly Girl method, you should only wash your hair once a week, unless there’s a desperate need. Before you get started on the Curly Girl method, give your hair one final wash in whatever shampoo you’ve been using. This will ensure any traces of silicon or other nasties are totally gone from your hair. Once you’ve had this final wash, throw your shampoo out! There, wasn’t that liberating? You are now well on your way to healthy, luscious, curly hair.
2. Condition Your HairAlthough shampoo is a no-no, conditioner actually really helps your curls. Wet your hair and work a moisturising conditioner into your scalp. Use your fingertips to really massage it in. This helps dislodge any dead skin and hairs, plus any dust and dirt. Rinse really well, massaging all the while. Leave in conditioners are fine, but rinse thoroughly first to get rid of dirt. Then apply the silicon-free conditioner.
3. Dry Your HairDo not blow dry! Heat is the enemy of curls, and a friend to frizz. If you need to detangle, do it with a wide tooth comb while hair is still wet. This helps to avoid broken hair. Then pat or scrunch dry, or if you have time, simply air dry. For longer hair, “plop” your hair into a towel or old t-shirt and clip it so the hair is completely covered. Leave for 15 minutes or so, and your hair will be nicely scrunched and touch dry.
4. Style Your HairIf you are planning to use a product, make sure it has absolutely no silicon in. See below for a list of ingredients that help nourish your hair. You can apply gels and mousses while hair is still wet but if you decide to do this, air-drying afterwards is a must. If you’re going product free, simply flipping your hair forwards and backwards should be enough to bring your curls to life. Style anyway you like, as long as there’s no heat involved.
5. Trim Hair RegularlyThe Curly Girl book details how to trim your hair yourself. If you’re not ready for that step, speak to your hairdresser about only taking off the split ends as and when necessary. This helps keep curls tidy and looking healthy.
Ingredients That Work With Curly Girl• Proteins including soy, wheat and wheat germ • Panthenol • Sorbitol • Vegetable Glycerine • PVP and PVP/VA, ingredients found in some styling products • Amino acids • Aloe Vera • Shea Butter • Olive oil • Decyl polyglucose • Cocamidopropyl betaine
You Don’t Quite Have To Throw Out All Your Products!In fact, many of them will be great for replenishing and rejuvenating your curly hair. Stay away from heated styling and over-brushing and really, anything that can damage and break your hair. Keep hair nicely moisturised, and don’t get tempted back by nice-smelling shampoos.
Elongated, uniformly dense, evenly curled, dark and captivating – this is how you like your eyelashes! Thanks to lash lifts, the dream can easily become reality. You can get the procedure done here at Worthingtons The Salon. In less than hour and with zero hassle, pain, or discomfort, you will be fluttering a full and luscious set of eyelashes, making your gaze unforgettable. Because it is so easy and so effective, getting a lash lift is increasingly popular. To get the best results, you ought to do your research and pick a reputable salon with a trained professional. Here is what you can expect of your appointment and how best to prepare for it.
The Basic Facts About Lash LiftsThe ease and relative longevity of a lash lift makes this beauty procedure quite attractive. As its name suggests, it is essentially a tune-up of your god-given eyelashes in order to take them to the next level. The effect usually holds for up to six weeks, making it a clear winner in the return-on-investment department of beauty treatments. While the process itself is painless and smooth, there are a few things to keep in mind in order to achieve the best results. https://www.instagram.com/p/BxsIlJqlesO/
Before Your ApointmentSince lash lifts involve the use of several cosmetic products on a rather sensitive area of your skin, it is important to test them first. To do that, you’ll need to pop into the salon a day or two before the appointment, collect samples from all the products your beautician will be using, and do a quick skin patch test. If you do not notice any irritation, you are ready to go. Image source
At The SalonOnce you make your way to the salon for your appointment, your beautician will first interview you briefly. Since lash lifts involve cosmetic products and manual work on your skin, you should reveal any relevant medical conditions upfront. Once that is done, you will lay down comfortably and prepare for 45 minutes of rest while the beautician works the lash lift magic. https://www.instagram.com/p/BypqKeag8yt/
Letting The Lash Magic Happen…A hair net and a headband will keep your hair in order. Your eyelashes will be cleaned with make-up remover and protein remover pads. The beautician will then cover your lower lashes with a special sticky pads to keep them out of the way. Meanwhile your upper lashes – the stars of the show – will go under silicone curling shields. Because every set of eyelashes is different, the shields come in various sizes to provide the best fit. Then comes the bonding gel and several nurturing, volume-enhancement balms, and tinting – all while you relax. The effects really are incredible, and clients always leave the salon feeling wide-eyed, and looking super glam. Most clients are absolutely thrilled to see their beautifully long lashes looking thick and fluttering. To conclude, Lash lifts are a long-lasting beauty procedure with stunning effects that is definitely worth trying! Why not book yourself in? Featured image source.
Many people have frizzy hair and it can be difficult to deal with. How familiar is this scenario: the day starts out fine, but then a quick glimpse in the mirror and you can see that the frizz is back with a vengeance. That’s when the hair band comes out, and the hair is scraped back! Whatever the cause, whether it’s heat damage or humidity, how can we fight the frizz?
Frizzy Hair Diagnosis…
Figuring out why your hair is frizzy can help you decide what to do about it.
Frizz is usually caused by dehydrated strands which go crazy anytime there’s moisture in the air. An iron deficiency can be the cause of frizzy hair, so if you’ve literally tried everything to no avail, then it’s recommended to see your GP.
Curly hair tends to be a bit more frizzy than straight, but anyone can suffer from the problem.
The good news is that there are lots of things you can do to fight the frizz.
1. Choose Shampoo For Frizzy HairIf you have frizz, your main goal is to hydrate your locks so a shampoo that contains glycerin is a great choice. Read the ingredients label closely and be sure glycerin appears pretty close to the top of the list. Glycerin penetrates each strand and hydrates it from the inside out. It also provides a covering for your hair so that it’s not so likely to go nuts when it’s humid outside. Make sure that the shampoo you choose is free of sulfates, which makes your problem worse.
2. Use Conditioner Every Time You ShampooConditioner should always have a place in your hair care routine. In fact, if you have frizzy hair, you should be using it each time you shampoo. That’s because conditioner keeps hair hydrated and smooths the cuticles. Apply conditioner from about mid-length to the tips. Look for natural ingredients that nourish like shea butter, castor and argan oil.
3. Add A Hydrating Mask To Your RoutineYou use a mask on your face, but have you ever tried one on your hair? This is another easy way to plump your strands with hydration. Try to do a hydrating hair mask once a week or so for the best results. Look for those that contain coconut or castor oil for great results. You can also make your own hair masks with hydrating ingredients. Things like avocado, honey, yogurt, eggs or olive oil work well. Use your hair mask in place of conditioner on a regular basis for the best results.
4. Don’t Blow Dry Dripping Wet HairThere are also some things you can do to protect your frizzy hair outside the shower. That includes taking care to let your strands dry partway before turning on your blow dryer. By allowing your hair to dry a bit on its own, you protect each strand’s cuticle. This helps close them up and keep them from frizzing up in humid air. When your hair is about 90 percent dry, use your blow dryer to finish the job. Be sure you hold it at least 6 inches from your hair and move it around to prevent burning sections of your hair.
5. Skip The Shampoo From Time To TimeSkipping shampoo every now and then can help fight frizzy hair. Every few days, only use conditioner on your strands, which hydrates your hair. Only skip shampoo one day at a time, especially if you have oily hair, so that you don’t wind up with limp, greasy strands.
6. Apply Hair Oil To The Ends Of Your HairSince the ends of your hair are the oldest, they’re the most susceptible to frizz. For that reason, infusing them with a good hair oil can really help. Use 1 to 3 drops of the oil on the tips of your hair after blow drying and styling. This helps tame the frizz and gives your hair some healthy shine at the same time. Regular hair trims and using your heating tools on the lowest setting are other ways to battle the frizz. Never, ever brush your hair when it’s dry and try drying it with a cotton t-shirt, which isn’t so rough. Incorporate these steps into your hair care routine today. In no time at all, you’ll be catching your reflection in the mirror and being dazzled by your sleek hair.
For some, they’ve had what hairstyle they want to wear for their wedding nailed down since they were ten years old. But not everyone is that organised. We also constantly change our minds about what we want for our big day! We’re allowed to, we are the bride after all. Cue all of us indecisive brides endlessly scrolling through wedding hair ideas for inspiration. Picking the perfect ‘do for the big day can be overwhelming. You want to make sure it’s just right, matches your wedding, is totally you and makes you feel comfortable. That’s why we’ve put together ten perfect styles for every type of bride. There’s something for everyone, from sleek updos to beautiful waves.
Wedding Hair Ideas
ChignonAn absolute wedding classic. You can never go wrong with a chignon, there’s a reason why it’s still so popular. A bun’s more formal cousin, a chignon is described as a knot or coil of hair arranged at the base of the neck. A style you’ll definitely see when scrolling through wedding hair ideas. A chignon can be worn sleek or more casual depending on the finish and accessories used. It’s a very versatile option for every bride.
Ballerina Bun Wedding Hair IdeasIf the chignon is too low for your liking but you still want a bun-based updo, this is perfect. The ballerina bun is more suited to brides who have slightly longer hair so the height and volume of the bun can be achieved. Again, this bun style can be adapted to suit a more traditional or boho look.
Ribbon PonyWe’ve all seen hair ribbons and hair scarves make a comeback, why not bring that to your wedding? A beautiful and casual low pony with a little texture and wave can be made cute and bridal with a bit of ribbon. Perfect for brides that don’t want a fussy updo but still want their hair back and looking beautiful.
French Twist Wedding Hair IdeasBringing it back to the classics. A French twist is another style that won’t go out of fashion and can be made sleek and modern or messy and beautiful. Short hair? No problem. Short hair can be twisted too so this is perfect for all hair lengths!
Boho Braid Wedding Hair IdeasWhile braids typically work better for brides with longer lengths, there are so many options with braids. From fishtails or simple side braids, to French and Dutch braids as well as braid crowns! Keeps your hair at bay all day (and night, so you can keep dancing!).
Half Up Half DownPerfect for the bride that just can’t decide. You want an updo and keep your hair out of your face but you still want some length? This is for you. This style works for brides with short and long hair. It can be adapted exactly to your style. Think cute curls, pretty pins or amazing accessories.
Loose WavesThe ultimate low maintenance bridal look. So many more brides are opting for loose boho waves for their shabby chic weddings. This hairstyle is great for any hair length that can hold a wave and any bride that just wants to go with the flow.
Vintage WavesIf you’re looking for something more sleek than a boho wave, vintage waves are your friend. A beautiful style for every hair length! Cute little finger waves in short hair and big bouncy Hollywood waves in longer lengths. Prepare to feel glamourous.
Faux HawkFor the edgy bride who wants to stray from the traditional. Still a beautiful updo that can be accessorised with flowers and pins. But a little unexpected.
Flower Crown UpdoThe ultimate romantic wedding updo. Flowers are a super sweet way to add detail to your wedding hair. A flower crown is the perfect ‘do for an outdoor wedding, the flowers really play to the nature element of your wedding.
Let’s Get Your Wedding Hair SortedIn love with any of these wedding hair ideas? Why not give us a call on 0118 983 2964 to discuss your perfect wedding ‘do.
Have you ever thought about booking a massage, and looking at all of the massage styles that are available to you has left you somewhat confused? We’ve all been there. Unless you’re a regular when it comes to massages, it can be hard to know which one to choose.
Massage Styles ExplainedThe art of massage is the practice of rubbing and kneading the body using the hands. There are many varieties of massage that focus on different parts of the body. So during a massage you can expect to experience a massage therapist applying gentle or strong pressure. This pressure to your muscles or joints helps to ease pain and tension.
Swedish MassageOne of the most common massage styles; a Swedish massage is typically the type of massage that comes to mind when we think of a massage. It’s a great beginners massage. A Swedish massage is also ideal for people who experience a lot of tension, or who are sensitive to touch. Perfect for releasing muscle knots and full relaxation.
What can you expect during a Swedish massage?They last 30 or 60 minutes here at Worthingtons. Your massage therapist will use long sweeping motions usually at the beginning and end of the massage. They’ll also use a combination of muscle kneading and rolling to work on those knots. Also be prepared to experience friction, where deep pressure is applied with fingertips and knuckles in a particular spot. Not forgetting the stereotypical movements of a Swedish massage, rhythmic tapping. Rhythmic tapping involves fast movements, the typical chopping motion we associate with massages. If you find any of those movements or pressure uncomfortable or not relaxing just let your therapist know so they can tailor your massage to you.
Hot Stones Massage StylesBest for those with muscle pain, especially if it’s intense and a Swedish massage isn’t enough for relief. It’s also a great massage for relaxation. Think of a hot stones massage as a slightly more intense Swedish massage with the addition of hot stones. Did you know that it can also improve blood flow? Again, here at Worthingtons you can choose between a 30 minute or 60 minute session.
But what do you experience during a hot stones massage?Heated stones are placed on different areas of your body. Your therapist will then use a hot stone to continue to massage your body using techniques similar to a Swedish massage.
Aromatherapy MassageLike every massage, you will experience relief from muscle pain and tension. Aromatherapy is perfect for those who want a more emotionally healing component to their massage. This is great for boosting your mood and reducing stress and anxiety. Expect a 30 or 60 minute full body massage session for ultimate relaxation. Your therapist will use a combination of gentle pressure with essential oils. If you have a preference for an essential oil just let your therapist know. Otherwise they’ll pick the oil they think will be best for you.
Indian Head MassageA massage that aims to rebalance the body’s energies. It’s an ancient therapeutic treatment that uses accupressure massage techniques on the head, face, neck and shoulders.
What benefits can you expect from an indian head massage?It can make you feel serene while improving blood flow in your upper body. Aches and pains in your neck, shoulders and back will be relieved. It’s also great for improving your hair texture and encouraging your hair to grow.
Holistic MassageHolistic massage focusses not only on your body but your mind aswell. Therapeutic touch is used to relieve your entire physical body of stress and tension as well as aiding lymphatic drainage. Through this release of physical stress you will experience full relaxation helping you to clear your mind.
What are the benefits of an Holistic massage?Improving blood flow and quality of sleep are the main benefits of an holistic massage.
Book now…So, there you have it, our massage styles explained to help you discover the technique that’s best for you. If you need any further guidance on making a decision, we’d love to chat to you. Just call us on 0118 983 2964 or book online.
The perfect manicure can be the cherry on top of any outfit. We all want immaculately shaped and polished nails, but their upkeep can be a bit offputting can’t it? A lick of polish might get you through a night out but what happens when you chip it the morning after. And don’t even get us started on chipping a nail. There’s a way around this seemingly neverending cycle of having perfect nails one minute and tired nails the next. Shellac (or gel) nails are the answer. We’re so thankful that this trend came around, gel nails are a real asset to the manicure tool box.
What Exactly Are Shellac / Gel Nails?So what are shellac nails? Created by CND, you use UV or LED light to cure and harden the shellac polish to achieve a hard wearing and glossy manicure. We know it sounds appealing so we’re arming you with all of the shellac gel nail facts you should know before getting your manicure (or pedicure!)
Gel Nail Facts You Might Not Know
They’re long lastingOne of the best things about shellac manicures is how long they last! If you’re hard on your nails, or they take a little bit of a beating in your day to day life, gels are a godsend also. They typically last two to three weeks. They can last longer if they don’t become worn. The only thing that will make you want to get back to the salon is your nail regrowth.
Start off with healthy nailsThere’s a big myth that shellac actually damages your nails – but it doesn’t. As long as you start off with healthy nails, your nails will stay in great condition. Keep your cuticles healthy and hydrated with oil!
Always get them removed professionallyThe only risk to your nails is the removal process. Removal of shellac can have an effect on your nail beds so it is essential it gets removed by a professional carefully. So stop peeling your gel manicure off, this is the number one reason why people’s nails become damaged by shellac.
No beetles in sightIt isn’t made from bugs! All CND Shellac polish is synthetic and isn’t made from beetles. Shellac is just the name they use for trading.
Gel Nail Trends
Tortoiseshell to nails is what snake print is to fashion in 2019We see snake, zebra and leopard print everywhere but we rarely see tortoiseshell. We only ever really spy it in accessories here and there. So why not make it the ultimate accessory and put it on your nails? Turn heads with your tortoiseshell.
A nail trend that we think is totally out of this world#ConstellationNails has been taking Instagram by storm in a number of manifestations. From pretty pastels to girly glitters and this simple but striking dark polish. Astrology is certainly having its moment in every medium, even nails, and we love it. Excuse us while we go and get our zodiac constellation painted on our nails stat.
Sometimes it’s nice to take a break from the super glossyA matte offers up a chic alternative manicure. The no-shine polish gives off super sophisticated vibes. It may be a simple design but it is the solution for the perfect modern mani and it is anything but boring.
Can’t decide on a shade? Choose them all!We know how hard it can be to decide what colour polish to go for, so why not go for a gradient? You’re sitting in the salon and you know you want to go purple but you don’t know what shade. Just go for all of them! Maybe not all, but a beautiful selection to bring you from light to dark across each hand.
Glitter is only for Christmas, said no one everNo one can stop a girl from wearing glitter all year round, especially not on her nails. You can go for seemingly less holiday themed glitter during the other eleven months of the year. Offset the glitter with more seasonal shades or nudes. Maybe even stick to just a few accent nails to subtly slip the glitter into your mani like the photo above.
Whether you’re looking to completely change up your look or just want a subtle change it’s hard to know where to start when it comes to your hair. From rich brunettes to pretty pastels, bold brights and beautiful blondes, we’ve rounded up the top 10 hair colour trends you should look out for in 2019 for a little inspiration.
Hair Colour Trends To Look Out For
1. The Mallen StreakTaking inspiration from those with a natural white streak that frames their face. People are making the mallen streak more wearable. Their subtle take on the naturally white mallen streak is to highlight the hair that frames their face.
2. OpalescenceBlend a soft mix of pinks and purples together to create this dreamy rainbow opal shade. You can take this trend in a more muted silver direction or a slightly more rainbow one. Try this one if you’re looking for something a bit more than a pastel dye job but don’t want to go full bright unicorn.
3. Rose BrownRemember rose gold hair? We’re introducing you to rose brown. One for those who don’t want to go lighter but still want to add some warmth to their darker locks. Again, you can go a lot more subtle or crazy with this trend. Add just a slight smoky purple/pink tint to your hair or go all out.
4. Shadow HairLooking for that low maintenance blonde? We’ve got you. Not only is shadow hair low maintenance but it offers a more multi-dimensional colour. If you want something a little more natural, the combination of highlights, lowlights and babylights alongside the shadow root creates a beautiful colour that isn’t flat. The addition of a shadow root means you can even go 4-6 months without a touch up (depending on your maintenance preference) – amazing right? This is one of our favourite hair colour trends.
5. Gem RootsCompletely bucking the shadow root trend we’ve got gem roots taking Instagram by storm. Omitting colour from the lengths but adding it into the roots, why not? We love this unique hair colour trend! Of course it comes with a little more maintenance but it’s worth it to make such a vibrant statement. Go as pastel or as bright as you want with this trend.
6. Strawberry BlondeStrawberry blonde is copper’s blonde sister. The lighter companion is being made cool again by Emma Stone. There was a time where no one wanted to be strawberry blonde (for the fear of being called ginger). We think it’s super sophisticated and a nice warmer twist on a simple blonde for the summer!
7. Faded PastelPastel hair has been around for years now, so what’s the 2019 update on this pretty look? Faded. The washed out look gives the hair a more lived in cool girl vibe. It’s more of a wash of colour rather than a full saturated pastel. A little less commitment comes with this lighter hue.
8. Cool BrunetteEmily Ratajkowski shows us how to wear brunette in 2019. Forget mousy browns, this ashy and cool (in every sense of the word) brown is what you should aim for when updating your brown this year. The subtle highlights add depth and dimension to the hair keeping it fresh and looking natural.
9. Living CoralPantone’s colour of the year for 2019 is Living Coral and we’ve seen it crossover into the hair world too. Julia Roberts updated her blonde locks to this coral hue, and we’re living for it. It’s not quite a pastel shade and it’s a little more than a strawberry blonde. The perfect unique inbetween.
10. Jet BlackMade popular by a certain Kardashian/Jenner family this dark hue isn’t going to go out of style anytime soon. Sophisticated and sexy, everyone wants to give the sleek jet black look a go. If it’s good enough for Kim, it’s good enough for us right?
So you want a new look. A change of hairstyle can be the cherry on the cake and the baseline for a switch up of your style. Are you’re going for a full rebrand with an entire new wardrobe, or just spicing up your existing look with a slick chop? You could spend hours Google image searching men’s hairstyles. Maybe even take a peek at hair trends on your girlfriend’s Pinterest. It’s likely that you’re going to be thrown a whole bunch of images your way. But what is cool and what even is that hairstyle called?